Congratulations to Paul, the winner of Top Chef Texas! To cheer on our favorite chef, we ate two of his winning recipes: Shrimp Yuzu Ceviche with Corn Salsa & Yucca Chips and Fried Brussels Sprouts. Lots of veganization and suburbanization going on, but both dishes had a complex flavor combination. No wonder he won this season!
Fried Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 peaches
- 1-2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon madras curry
- 1 tablespoon ginger, julienned
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 1/2 cup Tofutti Better than Sour Cream
- 1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried Thai chili
- 10 basil leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup candied pine nuts
1. Sweat garlic, ginger and green onion. Season with dried Thai chili and salt and pepper to taste. Deglaze with 1/2 apple cider vinegar.
2. Make reduction with sugar and other half of apple cider vinegar and reserve.
3. Season Tofutti with madras curry and salt.
5. Quarter Brussels sprouts and deep fry on high heat until golden brown.
6. Cut peaches in to 8 pieces (wedges). Chill and reserve.
1. Place 1 tablespoon of Tofutti on a plate with the back of a spoon. Brush into a line.
2. Place the peaches, Brussels sprouts, and garlic, ginger and green onion mixture on top of the Tofutti and garnish with basil leaves, candied pine nuts, and capers. Drizzle apple vinegar reduction to finish; add salt to taste.
Vegan Prawn Citrus Ceviche with Corn Salsa & Potato Chips
- 1 package Vegan Prawns
- 3 ounces lemon juice
- 3 ounces lime juice + extra to dress vegetables and garnish
- 2 ounces agave nectar
- 1 medium sized potato
- 1 ear corn
- 2 ounces cilantro; minced
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 pieces baby fennel
- 1 tomato
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
1. Prepare prawns as directed on box (for salads).
2. Mix all the citrus juices and agave nectar. Marinate the prawns in the citrus mixture for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
3. Cut corn off the cob and small dice the tomatoes. Slice the baby fennel paper-thin. Dress corn, tomatoes and yucca with lime zest, cilantro and lime juice. Add sliced garlic, chili, and season with black pepper and Garam Masala.
4. Slice potato across and fry at 300 degrees Celsius until crispy.
1. Place potato chips on a plate and place 1 piece of prawn on top of the chips and put salsa on top. Garnish with Tofutti sour cream, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt to taste.