- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegan chick’n bouillon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrot , julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 package Cheddar Cheezly, grated
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onion in water until translucent.
- Add 2 cups of water, chick’n bouillon and potato and simmer covered for 10 minutes (until potato is soft)
- Whisk together soy milk and flour and pour into pot. Use immersion blender (or transfer to a blender) to combine all ingredients to a creamy soup base.
- Add the broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Use immersion blender again, but don’t completely blend the broccoli and carrots; leave some chunks. Add cheese and nutmeg. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the cheese melts.
This is a veganized (an healthy) version of Panera’s Broccoli Cheese soup, which I found here. The soup has over 600 calories and almost 50 grams of fat per serving! Pure insanity. I just did a rough calculation, but I think my recipe has around 300 calories and 12 grams of fat (most of that from the Cheezly). For a “cream” soup, that isn’t too bad.
With the soup, we had some crusty bread and spinach bean dip.
- 1 can of cannelloni beans
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 1 ounce of spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
It was pretty good; even Sassafras wanted in on our vegan noms.