I have never heard of “corn-pone,” but Wikipedia just informed me that it is cornbread. And that makes sense, because this is a “beef” casserole with cornbread on top. It’s actually quite tasty.
Dixie Corn-Pone Boca Ground Crumbles Casserole
- 1 bag of Boca Ground Crumbles
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup of cornbread batter from Veganomicon (or your favorite vegan cornbread batter)
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce (or canned tomatoes if you don’t have a weird texture issue with canned tomatoes)
- salt to taste (doesn’t really need it, but if you like things salty, add a pinch)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Saute onion and Boca crumbles in oil until onions are soft and Boca crumbles are defrosted. Add chili powder, vegan Worcestershire sauce and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Mix in kidney beans and pour into a greased 8×8 baking dish. Top with corn bread batter and bake for 20 minutes.
- 2 cups okra, cut crosswise
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons soy salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Mix liquid ingredients together and heat over medium heat in a heavy skillet. Add okra and cook for about 10-15 (flipping about half-way through so as not to burn the okra).
The second batch was not bad, but the first had some problems.