While calories generally kept me away, one of the best places for an ice cream splurge, in my pre-vegan days, was Cold Stone Creamery for a Birthday Cake Remix: cake batter ice cream, brownies, fudge and sprinkles. For my birthday, I decided to veganize this delicious treat.
Vegan Cake Batter Ice Cream
- 2 cups soy creamer (I used french vanilla, which tasted fine. Unfortunately, it made the ice cream brown)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk (the canned, full fat kind)
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (1/2 if you use french vanilla creamer)
- 1 cup vegan cake mix (check the ingredients, because they will sneak in a milk product. I used a vanilla cake mix from Trader Joe’s)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the creamer and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
Stir in the coconut milk, arrowroot powder and vanilla.
Stir in cake mix until there are no lumps.
Pour mixture into the ice cream maker and mix until it has thickened (about 30 minutes).
Put ice cream in freezer-friendly container and freeze overnight.
Vegan Birthday Cake Remix
- Vegan cake batter ice cream
- Your favorite vegan brownies (I used the recipe from Vegan Cookies invade your Cookie Jar)
- Chocolate sauce (or chocolate fudge, there are lots of recipes online. Fudge is more authentic, but chocolate sauce tastes good)
I don’t have a cold stone, but I do have a room temperature cutting board (Room Temperature Cutting Board Creamery, not as catchy).
Start with the ice cream
Add the brownies
Mix the brownies
Add the chocolate sauce/fudge and mix.
Add the sprinkles
Enjoy! Besides the color (should have bought regular soy creamer), this is perfect. It tastes just as good as Cold Stone Creamery without the cruelty!