H was in the city on Monday, so I
had pie and wine for dinner didn’t cook. Tuesday is Hillstriders with cheese-less Domino’s pizza by the lake. It’s been almost a week since I cooked dinner!
On Monday I downloaded the Martha Stewart Everyday food app, which is a waste of $2.99. It has crashed about 10 times and it takes forever for a page to come up. However, I did manage to get in a search for spinach (to use up the bags I bought at the farmers market on Saturday) and I came across this recipe for Fusilli with Spinach and Walnut Pesto. I had all the ingredients except the pasta, but once again Jewel’s Italian section disappointed me. There was no fusilli, so I bought some brown rice spiral pasta.
To veganize, I obviously left out the cheese, but I also decreased the amount of pasta so I could add cannellini beans and there would still be enough pesto to cover everything.
- 1 bunch spinach (about 1 pound), trimmed and washed
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces brown rice spiral pasta
- 2 cups (or 1 can) cannellini beans
- Add spinach and 1 tablespoon water to a large skillet set over medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. In a food processor, combine spinach, walnuts, oil, and lemon zest. Process until mixture forms a smooth paste, scraping down bowl as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 2 cups pasta water; drain pasta. Return pasta to pot and add pesto, tossing to combine and adding enough pasta water to create a sauce that coats pasta. Mix in beans and serve.